Friday, July 11, 2008

Ruby


Ruby is one of my hero's. After Shelby's messed up heart surgery, this was her nurse. She was there on the worst day of her life. I remember the morning after the surgery my mom went in the NICU to see how Shelby was doing. She asked Ruby how she was and Ruby didn't answer her. At first we were thinking how rude she was but later found out that she was so emotional about Shelby that she couldn't answer. When I came in that day I was so unprepared to see how sick she really was. They were having to resuscitate her literally every few minutes. Ruby was standing over her bagging Shelby constantly and the Respiratory Therapist never left her bedside that day. I remember that her oxygen saturation's never were rising above 30%. I finally just broke down right in the middle of the NICU. Ruby had another nurse take over and she gave me the biggest hug. She helped get her ready for transport which was at least a 2 hour process and a miracle in itself. She is truly amazing.
Anyway, we went and visited her at IMC. She remembered me and Shelby right away and we were able to talk for about 20 minutes. It was really nice. Shelby went right to her. She is amazing!

3 comments:

Corn Husker said...

What a sweet woman. You definitely have me in tears. The world could use more people like her because we definitely need more people like Shelby.

Jana said...

what an amazing girl Shelby is. she is the most beautiful little miracle EVER.

The Lilly's said...

Oh my gosh, I knew things were serious for Shelby as a newborn, but I never knew it was THAT scary and intense. I had chills reading about it. She is definately a huge miracle.