Sunday, February 8, 2009

Shelby's journey


Shelby!


I love this pic of her as a baby.

I can't believe that my baby girl is 4 today!! 4!! Shelby is the biggest sweetheart ever. She loves to snuggle, help with everything, make us laugh, play with Keaton, play with her animals and so much more. I just wanted to write this post about what a beautiful miracle she is.
Shelby made her appearance on February 8th 2005 at 9:07AM. She was 1lb 5 oz. She was so tiny, but so perfect. She had this sweet little pixie face that I immediately fell in love with.
Things at first were going really well. She had a valve in her heart that didn't close like it should have after birth so they tried unsuccessfully to close it with medicine. They operated on her heart on March 1st 2005. She was still so tiny. At first things seemed well, but quickly turned very bad. It was 2 heart wrenching days before they figured out that a mistake had been made. They transferred her to Primary Children's Medical Center and she had another heart surgery on March 3rd. She miraculously survived, barely clinging to life. Any noises, touch or lights would send her saturation's into a nosedive. It was a long slow recovery. About a month after that she had to have surgery on her arm because her PICC line was stuck. They made 3 incisions in her arm and pulled it out. A few weeks after that she had surgery on her eyes. They went from being fine to having bad ROP(retinopathy of prematurity.)

Our first family photo.
My sweet angel

The next few months Shelby was finally able to get bigger and healthier. She made it off her vent, started drinking from a bottle and was finally able to come home after 4 1/2 months. It truly was the greatest day. It was overwhelming at first. She came home with oxygen, tube feeds, bottle feeds, sat monitor and I was pumping. I'm pretty sure that's all I did for a while. :) She thrived at home. It was wonderful to finally be able to hold her whenever I wanted and to actually be her mom. The last few years have been amazing to say the least. We love her so much and she brings so much joy to our lives. I am so thankful for her!!
Shelby on our first trip up to Spokane to visit my sis
Shelby's first glasses
Lovin' Lagoon

14 comments:

alisquire said...

I LOVE the picture of Shelby in Ellie's crib. What a miracle. She's such a sweetie!

tysqui said...

That's a great post. Happy Birthday Shelby!

The Meyer Family said...

K, that was the best post I've read in a while. It made me cry! I can't even imagine that! We only had Avery in the NICU 4 or 5 days. 4 mon. is a lifetime! What a little miracle!

McKell said...

This is a GREAT post. I'm so glad you shared this story. I think I take so much for granted. Happy Birthday Shelby!

Morgan said...

WOW great post!!!! Shelby is our little miracle. She is so big now, so I some times forget the hard road she had!!!! it is AMAZING!!!! Love ya Shelby

WADDOUPS said...

I love hearing Shelby's story. It makes my heart melt every time. Love u tons lil girl xoxo

Dave and Andrea Weisenbeck said...

I came back from my maternity leave Feb. 9th and was so shocked that Shelby had been born because you weren't due until May. I am so glad she is so healthy now and doing so well. She is a little miracle. She is so dang cute and sweet. Happy Birthday Shelby!!

Alysia said...

We love the little miracle girl. You are one tough mama you know! Happy birthday Shelby, we love you!

Corn Husker said...

I remember worrying and praying for all of you, but I can't believe that was 4 years ago. Happy Birthday Shelby!

The Lilly's said...

I can't even imagine how heart wrenching those scary moments must have been for you. She truly is a miracle.

Brittany said...

Oh Rachelle! I still get choked up when I hear what you had to go through. She is such a little fighter...and so are you. I always tell your amazing story to people. I can't believe she's 4 yrs old already! What a big girl. We love you!!

Adrians Mama said...

She's a cutie!!

Mitzi said...

Okay, what a doll. I can't even imagine what you guys have been through, but I am so happy that you have her in your family, and that she is doing so well. She sure is lucky to have a mom like you! What a sweetie.

Drew & Stephanie said...

Hi Rachelle! I got your blog off of Stacy's, I hope that you don't mind. What a little miracle Shelby is! I'm glad that I got to read that I had no idea about any of it!