Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another 6 months gone by...


I cannot even begin to tell you the anxiety/panic I feel every 6 months when I have to take Shelby to the eye Dr. It terrifies me. About the week before her appointment, I start thinking about it non-stop, losing sleep etc. Well today was that day. They did a full evaluation at the Neonatal Follow-up Clinic. I love seeing her progress. My favorite answer of the day was in the psychology evaluation. The psychologist asked her what trains do. She answered matter-of-factly, they are for going potty. She repeated the question and said "they go potty." It was pretty funny some of the things she said to the questions. Anyway, back to the eyes, Shelby loves her eye Dr. She was actually excited to get the eye drops to dilate her eyes. The assistant said she has never seen that! However, it was another heartbreaking visit. Her vision got considerably worse again. I asked him to lay it out for me and tell me what he expected long term for her. He told me that as her eyes get worse her risk for retina detachment(complete blindness) goes up quite a bit. It kills me. I can't possibly imagine her losing her vision. It makes you so grateful for what we have and I hope and pray that Shelby never has to go through that.

7 comments:

Jackie and Chris Harmon said...

Yeah I hope she doesn't through that either.

Alysia said...

I am sorry! That is not the news that you want to hear. I hope they can figure somthing out to slow the progression or something. We love that sweet girl!

Dianna said...

Oh Rachelle I'm sorry for the hard news. I hope it never gets to that point for dear Shelby! I love you and your fam!!! And I'm always here for you if you need anything!

The Lilly's said...

I can't imagine how difficult and stressful that must be as a mother. I hope everything goes ok for you guys, hang in there!

Corn Husker said...

Poor kiddo. I'm so sorry!

T.Irwin said...

Is there anything they can do to help prevent her loss of vision? I hope and pray they can offer a viable solution before things reach a point of no return.

Lightfoot said...

The boy I worked with at Kaysville had the same thing. Very similar to what Shelby has gone through. You are a great mom, and she is a great litte girl. She will do great things regardless of her ability level! Love you!